Hurricane Season Has Begun!



After a half-year break, hurricane season is back. It takes just one storm at a susceptible location for a disaster to occur.

The first named storm of 2014 hurricane season has already been recorded. Hurricane Arthur struck the Atlantic Coast affecting the State of North Carolina. Damages were slight and no deaths were documented, but 44,000 people were without power at the start of the July 4th holiday weekend.

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) projections for the 2014 hurricane season, spanning from June 1st to November 30th, indicate a near-normal or below normal hurricane season. These estimates are based on the official NHC 1981-2010 seasonal averages of 12 named storms, 6 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes. More specifically, NOAA’s annual projections call for a 50% chance of a below-normal season, a 40% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of an above-normal season.

Based on present and anticipated conditions, NOAA estimates a 70% probability for the following ranges of activity for 2014:

  • 8-13 Named Storms
  • 3-6 Hurricanes
  • 1-2 Major Hurricanes

Regardless of the seasonal outlook, just one storm can cause hefty damage. So ask yourself the following questions:

“Is my facility ready when the next storm hits?”

“What is my back up plan if grid power becomes unavailable for an extended period of time?”

Businesses & government agencies in coastal regions are advised to prepare for any hurricane that may or may not have been projected by NOAA’s seasonal outlook.

Get prepared and stay prepared by installing back-up power equipment such as a manual transfer switch. ESL’s StormSwitch™ (Manual Transfer Switch) can be quickly and easily connected to a portable generator in the event power goes out. The first step is to evaluate what type of transfer switch is most suitable for your business. Click here to learn more about manual transfer switches and emergency power preparedness statistics.

Photo Courtesy: DVIDSHUB

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *